View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Batter preference change on Tama Silverstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis Drummer View Post
Yeah I just went with the Clear Pinstripes assuming they'd sound good based on past experience. I'm pretty geared toward clear heads so I'm thinking I'll go with Clear Emperors as my instinct and your suggestion suggests.

Aren't Pinstripes and Emperors both 2 ply 7mm? Don't want to trade in an apple for an apple. But I'm assuming the Emperors will make the toms sound more "lively" due to no dampening ring.

I've also heard comments that my acrylic and brass snares (which I think sound like a gunshot) are lost about 50ft out from the stage, unless it's a ballad-y song. No turning down amps unfortunately....but I"m sure some of you can relate. I may just have to mic the rest of the kit if new heads don't do it for me.
Their main composition are both two plies of 7mil Mylar, but the Pinstripes also has a layer of ring reducing agent placed between these two plies. This is probably what's hampering your sound. Many, many years ago I used Remo Pinstripes almost exclusively. They might work for some overly aggressive shells, but evidently the Silver Stars aren't. At least in the context of your playing. Just get one head at first to hear if this would be the solution.

Dennis