View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Do maple sticks reduce shock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
What about Hornbeam? What are the physical characteristics compared to the other woods? As I understand it, hornbeam is a European hardwood which was described to me a "hard maple".

I bought a few pairs of hornbeam sticks recently and have found them to be light and comfortable; it's only been a couple of weeks so I can't say how they compare in the long run to the hickory sticks I typically use but they have been surprisingly good so far. Especially when one considers that they are the B stock of that particular manufacturer.
European Hornbeam is diffuse-porous, just like maple, and has a hardness rating of 1630lbf, so it is harder than maple but softer than hickory. I can't speak of its density, though. But it does sound like it might make a good stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If your fingers suspend the sticks and act as shock absorbers, none of this matters.
You may get less transfer of energy into your hands using this method, but it is still transferred. I will agree that the more surface area you put on the stick with your hand, the more energy is transferred. But unfortunately, unless your hands are made by TempurPedic, shock transfer is unavoidable. As long as your wrist is straight during impact, the resulting shock will leave your hand and be absorbed in the forearm, and this is good.