View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Default Re: feedback, thoughts and opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboyxx View Post
For me how it sounds when behind the shield as well as reducing unwanted reflections is a big deal. Plastic does a very poor job in these areas. Unwanted reflections get sent up and bounce around like sonic bullets, getting into the mikes.

At my church a generous guy with wood skills built a set of hinged sound baffles NOT made of any plastic. The wood, cloth and sound absorptive material absorbs sound and reflects much less than any plastic or hard surface I've played behind. Of course you can't see the drummer except from the neck up - which is fine with me.

The next best thing I've experienced is one of the mixed material, total enclosure like this. A bit of an isolating experience musically and puts more weight on the shoulders of those providing and mixing monitors for the drummer. It's also $3000 (I think) not including the Avion monitoring solution that is necessary for this to function.

There's definitely a need for better products in this area. Come up with a winner and the first thing you'll want to do is market to churches in the U.S.

Jim
Yes there are definite drawbacks whichever way you go. But with a little tweaking, depending on how far you want to go, my design will compete even with the megamini - at a fraction of the weight and bulk. I'm doing a second set of tests on the finished product within the next month, then I'll post the final decibel reduction figures on this forum. The test will be run with the basic unit only - no additional soundproofing. I want to establish a baseline for future tests by myself and users of my product. Of course I'd love to invent something that kills low frequency waves and is still lightweight and transparent, but that really is the holy grail of drum shields. Someday...

Last edited by plastickman; 06-26-2013 at 10:46 PM.