View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Can younger people appreciate music better than people of an advanced age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd100 View Post
No need to apologize. I welcome all opinions even if they can be construed as a mild insult or harsh.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at though. I enjoy listening to Skrillex from time to time more than I would if I wasn't a drummer, because it is fun to play to, and it's fun to try and mimic some of the layered beats and rhythms.

Obviously songs from the same genre will sound 'the same' but I think pop music does more so than other genres, besides maybe death metal (I'm not into it at all but I do respect the genre for it's skill).

I'm not sure how the two are related, and how it makes me hypocritical, but maybe I missed the point you are making.

Maybe you mean, how can I say pop all sounds the same if I don't like it nor actively listen to it all the time?

Also, to others who have implied it, I'm not saying that people should focus all their energy on music to the extent of neglecting more important priorities in their lives.
What I'm getting at is that, to me, Skrillex songs all sound the same (more so than most music, with the exception of metalcore/death metal, so we can agree on that), and pretty much all Dubstep sounds the same to me, and lacks real talent and creativity. I just didn't really word it well, as I was in an awful mood. I do think it could be a blast to play to, though.

I related that to the Ramones, because they pretty much made a career of playing the same chord progression in different keys, and calling each one a different song.

It just doesn't seem right to me to say that songs of one genre all sound the same when you listen to the type of music that, to me, is within the top 5 of the 'all songs sound the same' list.

This, of course, is all just based off of personal preference and opinion