View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Consultant

Default Re: Can younger people appreciate music better than people of an advanced age?

When I was 17, I remember thinking about how music (and art in general) had the potential to be life-changing. I would say things like "Artistic expression is the highest human endeavor" and generally believe that those poor sods who had to get up every morning to work some meaningless job were lost souls.

Now, after having met hundreds of musicians (and thousands of people) while playing hundreds of shows,I realize that musicians are just as lost as everyone else. As a matter of fact, those musicians who never integrated with the "normal" world by somehow securing a stable home life and income now strike me as totally detached and self-absorbed, not to mention miserable. 45 yr old broke musicians are quite a miserable bunch, believe me.

Did music change their lives? Not for the better.

I guess the point I'm making is that youthful romantic notions do not hold up over time. The younger people think that they love music more but the fact is that they generally do not have enough life-experience to make an honest judgement.

The older crowd has usually been through the wringer of real life. Dealing with birth and death, for example is much more emotionally moving than any piece of music ever written.
After having been through all of what life can throw at us, maybe the older crowd isn't so impressed by some 20-something singing about how "life would be nothing without you"

As far as the distorted guitars, I think that has more to do with the music you grew up listening to. If your dad liked big band then he will hate Meshuggah. If he grew up on Slayer, maybe he could deal with it a little more.