View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Flat-Base Hardware - DW vs. Ludwig vs. Gibraltar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have used Gibraltar Flat Base Hardware for years and I have never had an issue.
Gibraltar has recently improved their Flat Base Hi-Hat stand. (check it out on YouTube)
I have never even come close to having a cymbal stand topple over as Bo stated.
The stand bases have double set screws to prevent them from loosening. (I don't even use the extra safety screws to double lock my stand bases)
The stand bases form a wide stance that is sturdy and reliable.
Well to be fair, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with flat based cymbal stands. I just have people who pick my stuff up and move it, and then other people bump into it (I work with high school kids, who knew?). So even with the wide stance of the Ludwig classic stuff, my cymbal went down.

On the other hand, when I did the next gig with the Yamaha 600 stuff, when a kid bumped into my stuff (while I was playing) my cymbals didn't move. The tripod base eliminates the "top heavy" situation, I think.

I liked the simplicity of the DW and Gibraltar ones. The Ludwig has this cymbal tilter that can go anywhere and I didn't like having that much adjustability. In fact, there was a couple of times I smashed my finger because I wasn't prepared for the tilter to go in an unexpected direction ;)