View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Jim Black on Ari Hoenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Thanks you guys, glad that was near the mark. I don't see the negativity in Black's remarks that some of you do. Whatever criticisms he makes are heavily qualified, he praises the players' talent more than once, and makes it clear that he is only speaking to his own taste. He's addressing real, and difficult, things, and I'm glad to hear him speak about themó I think his words were well chosen.

All I can say is that Black has been absolutely killing it since I saw him a couple of times with Tim Berne back in, I don't know, 1990? 91?, and I last saw him play a few months ago and he's still absolutely killing. He's not as big a name in drummer-land as some people, but he's as good as anybody.

Hey, Michael! How's the weather in Berlin in late November? I've got a few free days at the end of my next thing, and I need to go somewhere...

Yeah reading the OP Black quote a second time it is nearly effusive and I do believe he gives credit where it is due...I guess it was that I hold Ari Hoenig in such high regard that the statement was a pill...

And to top it all off, Im not really familiar with Jim Black but of what I do know he's not particularly a drummer that does "anything" for me...

Hoenig on the other hand plays with Kenny Werner whom I could gush over...Really solid music philosophy and thinking... I would say Hoenig and Werner are of the same mindset and Kenny Werner has said that acceptance of self(as a musician) sounds good...Ari Hoenig to me, is the epitome of that...

Maybe Black is too....