Thread: Alex Riel here!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM
OZjazzer

Default Re: Alex Riel here!

Hi Alex. I was very interested in your list of favourites especially Red Garland's 'Billy Boy' on the Davis album. I adore that track but am old enough to recall when it first came out a critic said something along the lines of 'great album pity about including the cocktail-jazz piano track'. Here we are some 40 years on and people are still talking about it (Bob James recently did a 'cover' of it on his wonderful trio album). Garland was no doubt inspired by by Ahmad Jamal's great version with another of my heroes Vernell Fournier. Interesting that the Philly Joe's much imitated cross stick, one in the bar 'click' was evidently copied from Fournier who was in turn trying to imitate the percussive accent guitarist Ray Crawford produced in the original drummerless Jamal trio.

Have been searching for anything by Lisa Nilson that is more like the jazz material she performed with you in Australia, she absolutley knocked me out. I have never been so impressed with a female singer in over 50 years of being a jazz fan. Just magnificent. I even like her popular recordings. Fabulous.