View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Silent practice - mesh heads or sounds offs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I recommended people getting into mesh heads if they have another kit to use them on. Otherwise, you're spending alot of time changing heads if all of a sudden you have a gig at the last minute. But I like the mesh heads. They are pretty silent, probably a bit more bouncy than regular heads, but they do feel better than the sound off pads. They do not damage drums, I don't see how that would happen. A stick hitting the rim accidentally would be alot louder than playing on mesh heads.

I had a Sonor safari kit that I put mesh heads on, and I continued the use of the sound off pads on the cymbals and hi-hats. That was a great practice set. If I wanted it even quieter, I could've dropped a towel in each drum to keep the bottom head from resonating, but I didn't need to do that. I still recommend people getting a Sonor Safari and a set of mesh heads. It's still cheaper than getting a full Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit!
Good tip Bo. I practice and record on an acoustic kit. Even with the mute pads on during practice, that BD can still be heard inside the house. I'm gonna stay with the mute pads on all the drums, but add a Pearl Mesh head to another bass drum. Since I already have a BD mute pad, I'll stick that over the BD Mesh head to control the bounce.

I'll report back...