View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ever been called a hipster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I have always lumped meatloaf into the category of "white people food". As an American born Mexican I never grew up eating it but I have to say that I really do enjoy it when it's not chock full of onions.

This thread had been pretty effectively Saturn'd already so I'd like to entertain my curiosity. Where does meatloaf come from? I assumed it had some sort of European roots like hot dogs and corned beef. Is meatloaf an American invention like Mac and Cheese?
I have no idea, but you made me curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meatloaf

Quote:
The meatloaf has European origins; meatloaf of minced meat was mentioned in the famous Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century.[2] Meatloaf is a traditional German and Belgian dish, and it is a cousin to the Dutch meatball. American meatloaf[3] has its origins in scrapple, a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal served by German-Americans in Pennsylvania since Colonial times.[3] However, meatloaf in the contemporary American sense did not appear in cookbooks until the late 19th century.[1]
Makes sense since meatloaf is a staple of my mid-western relatives who are of German decent. LOL.