View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Re: I'm just a "feel" drummer so I don't need technique, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
It's all very simple. If you don't develop good technique early then you have a hill to climb if you want to rebuild your grip and stroke. If you wait too long to correct inefficient stroke and grip then it can reach a point where it's not worth the bother, in which case you have no choice but to be a "feel drummer".

From there, as a person resigned to being a feel drummer, you can build financial security in a 9-to-5er and play a few gigs on the side playing "cool" music with other sloppy but spirited would-be musicians.
I would agree 100% with this. Did the 'I'm a feel drummer' thing for about 20 years. About 9 months ago, I started getting back into music rather seriously and started attending a regular open stage with some jaw-dropping drummers in attendance.

I was quite humbled and had to be honest with myself. Why were these guys so much better-sounding than I? It was their technique. That's when I decided "OK, you're gonna fix your technique. No more putting it off."

I've been working on this very intensively for about 4 months now and my technique is lightyears better.

As is my groove playing. :)

Results vary, but MY experience tells me you need to work on both.