View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What are the must haves for gigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I don't really have anything new to add but here's my gig list.

- Kit (of course) -- with each piece with it's own hard case.
- Hardware (in a hard case)
- Spare snare
- Cymbal case with appropriate amount of cymbals.
- Pedal
- Drum rug -- with Velcro tape to mark pedal and stand positions (less permanent than duct tape.
- Stick bag with appropriate amount of sticks, brushes, mallets, metronome, drum keys, stick wax, batteries (for metronome and forgetful guitarists). I also have a small keychain light attached to my stick bag strap. It's helped me find that lost drum key, felt, etc, in the dark a few times.
- Spare heads -- usually snare and kick.
- A multi compartment hardware box that holds a bunch of felts, wingnuts, spare beater, moleskin (for bass drum head) spare hi-hat clutch, screws, and a Leatherman multi-tool.
- Bottle of water.

That's all I can think of right now since I'm not packed for a gig at the moment.

Oh, also a multi-cart too. It helps making load-in/load-out much easier. However, you may be able to use your...assets to get some folks to help you.

Just be careful with letting others handle your drums. I've had issues with this in the past...
Some of this seems a little unnecessary if it's just a local show. The shows in my area, are usually 4 bands per show, and we're a friendly music scene, so if anything malfunctions or breaks, somebody will always let you use a piece of their equipment, and trust you with it. And the other bands will almost always help you carry your gear, and they are friendly and careful, so we always know we can trust them. Heck, at my last gig, I let somebody borrow my most prized guitar for his set, because he was having problems with his. He treated it well, and appreciated the help greatly. There's almost always a drum rug at our venues, but it is a good idea to always bring one just in case, especially when it's a venue you haven't played yet.

On the other hand, if you're the only band playing and/or it's out of town, it's probably a good idea to bring the extras