View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: New to the forum and New to drums.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. You seem like you have a realistic frame of reference about needing to master the basics. Since I can't help spewing advice to new drummers.....don't make the mistake lots of new drummers do and gloss over the basics because they're "too easy". Lol. The basics are where the art of drumming lives, so don't think of them as easy. They are easy to initially learn, but mastering them is what separates the serious drummers from the ones who don't want to work that hard. Having a respect for the basics, and more importantly, logging in hundreds upon hundreds of hours practicing them will help you reach your goals faster than anything else. So practicing your basics is really the fast track, even if it doesn't feel that way.

In my experience, for me anyway, it's better to spend an hour practicing one thing than using that hour to gloss over 6 things. Develop the patience it requires to really get deep into an exercise. The first rudiment, the single stroke roll, as simple in concept as it is, is monumentally hard to play fast, clean and even. You could seriously do nothing but that rudiment for years. I have and I'm still not happy with my singles. I still practice them. Spend lots of time on singles and double strokes and flams. Everything you play will consist of those 3 strokes, generally speaking.

So be diligent and practice one thing deeply as opposed to covering so much ground that nothing is really ingrained. Oh and you NEED to practice to a metronome. Nothing can show you what even time sounds like, like a metronome.

Sorry for all the well intentioned advise.