View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roland TD10 buying advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_scott View Post
Why are they outdated? the electronics, the pads, the top hat, to name a few. Notice I'm NOT saying each its bad, or its a bad kit, just not the latest technology on all fronts. If you believe technology moves forward and gets better, and most might agree with this, then newer kits have more to offer and sound better. You can also read from this newer kits offer more features. There is clearly a trade off between price and performance as there is in most things.
I hear what you're saying. And I'm aware that technology moves forward all the time. However, we're talking drums here. Why is an acoustic drumset never outdated, and electronic ones are? (In fact, that could be said for everything electronic product). I'm not using any of the pads as I trigger my TD-10 with a zendrum, so pads getting beaten and eventually dying is not an issue I ever deal with. But in terms of sound I find it curious that having hundreds or thousands of sounds at your fingertips (that can be tweaked to a degree) would be considered outdated within ten years when guys who play acoustic drumsets and cymbals remain timeless (not that the players themselves should be timeless, if you know what I mean), and with acoustics, you have this one sound being used all the time. Definitely a different head-space to be in when you jump on the electronics bandwagon I suppose.