View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pitch-matched sticks - How critical is it?

I started playing drums when I was 9 and I started hearing this kind of stuff (pitch matched sticks) shortly thereafter. Seriously, one of the main reasons I went to engineering school and then engineering graduate school was to get the real facts behind stuff like this.

Theoretically, the same angular momentum can be produced from sticks of different mass (and different pitch). It's the mass times velocity that produces momentum and both can be altered. Technically, it isn't necessary to pitch match sticks. Practically, it make them easier to play, but even then, there are limitations to how well they can be matched, Trees grow differently and have slightly different densities. Some shop QC can mitigate a lot of that variation, but it isn't that exact. Structural engineers need to use lumber grading and species property data all the time, and the species variation is considered when publishing design values. There is a lot higher standard of deviation in the material properties of wood than in most man-made building materials, like steel.

The type of music played - orchestral, jazz, whatever - doesn't make trees more uniform. This is largely just marketing and in the end, we all like a nicely matched pair of sticks. But from a technical standpoint, the whole idea of pitch matched sticks is kind of trivial.