View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Pearls of Wisdom from Dave Grohl

Dave came out of the DC hardcore punk scene. What punk was back in the day before Nirvana and mainstream alternative music, was an anti-corporate arty original vibrant and energetic music. Bands like the Minutemen couldn't be classified as just punk or be classified at all. Dave's old band Scream combined metal and classic rock in to their punk rock mix. These bands were original and had their own sound. Idol to me is finding a good voice and "molding" them into a mainstream pop act. Even people like Crystal Bowersox and Bo Bice had bad power ballads on their post Idol albums, then got dropped, went indie and sounded like themselves again.

I think that is what he is talking about. Daughtry, David Cook and such. Band guys leaving their bands and going on Idol to make a name for themselves, and then doing mainstream rock. Music to me should be an open canvas. You paint your colors, not just what hues other tell you to be. "Britney is pink, so uh, be pink..." Or worse, you just copy what is already popular and reap the easy rewards.