View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Pearls of Wisdom from Dave Grohl

I will preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of Dave's playing with Nirvana, Them Crooked Vultures, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Probot, and others. I also admire greatly the fact that he was able to write, and record every instrument by himself for the Foo Fighters s/t (Guitars, bass, drums, vocals, backup vox!) and proved himself to be a great musician on many fronts.

That said, some of his rants and general "message" have been contradictory or just misplaced. What does American Idol have to do with making the next Nirvana? Does the fact that 800 unknowns lineup to sing to become the next "big thing" have any connection at all with kids getting excited about rock, metal, whatever and tinkering around with their instruments until they become gigging musicians in the next generation? Would Kurt Cobain have gone on American Idol? I really don't see any connection at all personally.

Also, for all his anti-digital rants, Foo Fighters records were chopped up, pro-tooled to hell and back, and recorded section by section then edited together. Doesn't that seem hypocritical? There's music made without click tracks, excessive pro-tooling, and minimal overdubs that is just as boring and cliche as bands that use digital studio sticks extensively. Just different ways of making music that aren't any more valid or less "real" than more natural recordings. As soon as you use any effects, punch-ins, multitracking and altering the music period you aren't playing live, raw music.

I think American Idol isn't going away any time soon because a lot of people love the idea that "anyone" (with a hard to obtain, fairly rare skillset) can become the next pop singer, the next model, the next VJ, the next business mogel, whatever. How many people remember Idol winners, and how many actually have a career other than Kelly Clarkson though? Just my two cents.