View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Should I learn the bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Here's a little bit of advice for you.

It helps to be patient. Nobody is telling you that you need to be great at all your instruments tomorrow. Sometimes, if all we can do is ten minutes of practice a day on an instrument then you might really focus that practice. The amount of time isn't important, it's how good your practice is. On top of that, stop pressurising yourself! It seems like you're really worried about everything - well, truth is that at this point in your life, you're not having to worry about supporting a family with your playing and it's something you're doing 'for fun'. Well have fun with it!

Incidentally, I play bass and guitar as well as the drums. I don't think about 'scheduling', I just pick up which ever instrument I feel with at that time.
+1. Have fun. Be patient. That's pretty much it right there. I've been drumming for most of my life and have goofed around with guitar and bass off and on over the years but lately I've been playing bass more than drums. It's such a fun instrument and so related to drums. I'm also on the steep part of the learning curve so there's always this big feeling of satisfaction whenever I'm newly "getting" something, which for me at this stage is very often.

My ability to communicate musical ideas is rapidly growing and becoming a very useful tool with the band. Now the guitar player is becoming more interested in learning drums, which I'm all too eager to help him out with. How awesome would it be for us to competently play each others intruments?

When it comes to playing instruments that are not your primary, I say the more the merrier!

As for scheduling, just do what you can and above all else, keep it FUN, or you'll be less inclined to spend more time with it when your schedule frees up.