View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Would Pearl be on that list as well? Isn't their acoustic drum/eKit making as big a splash as they'd like?

So, you see, after all these years of playing, I must be totally passionless about the electric thing. I used to effect my own repairs on the ancient octapads back in the day and (back then) bugging technicians in person (since there wasn't really an internet at the time) for advice on what to do and I guess the one good thing about all of that is I got mad soldering skills that I use to this day on my regular audio engineer job. But somewhere along the line I added up all the time, money, and effort put into this part-time electronic drumming business and decided to stop the madness. Again, this gets back to the "why don't I just get to it" passion of acoustic drumming. I had certainly wasted years of time I could've spent practicing my acoustic craft, which is what everyone really wants anyway. So I've done that (TD-10 and Zendrum notwithstanding). Maintaining an acoustic kit is child's play next to making sure the eKit is ready to take on the nightly bashing of a busy schedule.
The Pearl E-Pro is most definitely NOT on the list! : )
I've actually had the (dis)pleasure of having a go on one of these and was underwhelmed to say the least. Their Redbox module produces the crappiest, tinniest sounds I've ever heard and their Tru-Trac heads are like hitting a foam mattress (although that's probably because I'm used to the extra "bounciness" of mesh heads).
Their major selling point at the time was "Wow, you can take off the Tru-Trac heads, put on mylar heads and use it as an A-kit"! Well, whoopdi-doo- you can convert any A-kit into and e-kit with mesh heads and a few triggers (and you get to choose any kit you like).
I completely understand your frustrations with e-kits (God knows we all have them) and I know you said you were playing them up until 2 years ago.
The point I was trying to make is that you seem to be a tad "bitter and twisted" about your e-drumming experiences when they were still in their relative infancy and this may have skewed your judgement of present day e-kits.
Sure, many of the same short-comings are still there but with the current technology I truly believe e-kits are not as cumbersome as you may think.