View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

Have both, love both. Each has its uses. For playing live, I'm back to primarily using the A-kit. But it was an E-kit that got me back into drumming after a hiatus, and my current much-tweeked E-kit makes it possible for me to practice while preserving the peace. And it is invaluable in the studio, especially when collaborating with other songwriters. The E-kit is always set up and patched up to my rig, and I can track to MIDI and send off the performance to a collaborator- who can then use whatever module or VST instrument they might like to impose whatever sounds they wish upon my performance.

Roland is certainly not the only game in town when it comes to E-kits. I'm a Hart Dynamics user for mesh-head pads, and their dual-zone brass ride is much closer to a real ride than any other electronic cymbal I've tried. Their Pro snare is also very, very nice. I use a Roland TD20 and and Alesis DM5, and also have BFD and DFH for VST sound engines. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat.

When I want my A-kit, I want it: and don't mind humping it around. When I want my E-kit, I want it: and don't mind the funny looks. Both are just tools- but sometimes, it is really convenient to have a volume knob...

I've also got an Alesis mylar-head kit that I used a few times to rehearse with a band. It is listed on Craigslist and has attracted zero attention: those are too much like a practice pad kit, for sure. I don't know if I'm ever gonna be able to unload that thing. But therein lies a lesson: If I only used that one, or one of the rubber-pad kits, I'd have an altogether different opinion of E-kits.

Oh, and don't forget Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez with Oingo Boingo. There's another fine pro who made use of an E-kit while touring- that was a big part of their sound...

Oh, well. The folks that hate 'em are always gonna hate 'em, and that's fine: everybody's milage varies.To each their own...

Last edited by skod; 04-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.