View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Bo, you seem to be under the false impression that Roland is the only game in town when nothing could be further from the truth. There are just so many cheaper options out there these days whether it be mesh heads, cones, triggers or whatever (and no, you don't have to go running to Uncle Roland every time something breaks).
You said it yourself in the last sentence- but things have changed in the e-drumming world quite a bit since the 80's/ 90's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority of your posts (re: e-drums and their shortcomings) would indeed be made by someone who last played them in the 90's, then lost interest and never kept up with current technology.
You're probably right. However, do know I've owned and played the Roland V-Drum TD-10 kit up til two years ago, and I still fumble around on the Zendrum (which I've always played since 1998). If it sounds like I've lost interest it's probably because I've been pursuing playing actual drums, which for a guy like me - who's dealt with every technological headache associated with playing these things live - has just been heaven lately. So you'll forgive me, but after all this time dealing with eKits and alternative modes of playing, everything I say about them is going to sound like shortcomings. Now if I never played them live or dealt with them, or even owned them, then I shouldn't talk. But I have.

I'm the embodiment of that phrase Buddy Rich said in his first Modern Drummer interview, when he was asked about drummers who did 'tricks' during a show, or used roto-toms, etc.,..., he said (and I paraphrase) "When you're done with the trick, you're gonna go right back to what you were doing, so why do it in the first place? Why not just get to it?" Meaning the actual playing of real drums. So I'm getting to it, and it's a happy place to be in. When people call me for electronic stuff, I give them names and numbers of others that are into that.

Now, other than Yamaha, who are you talking about being the other games in town? I'm sure they're out there and I'm sure I've never heard of them. But when it comes to the support game when something breaks or needs to be repaired, I think Yamaha and Roland are the only two in the game that can handle that kind of support. Alesis has been an enigma since the beginning. Who else is there? I'd go looking but the fact that I don't hear about other companies doing this (with the right kind of support) from other players tells me something, no?