View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I've never said, "Oh cool, the drummer is using an E kit. It's always, Oh crap, the drummer is using an E kit. Let's go see a different band.
If that makes me an elitist...so be it. You can't please everybody. The best you can do is be true to yourself, and damn the torpedos.
That may be a valid point to a professional drummer such as yourself Larry but it's made in the wrong context.
You personally may want to leave the venue when you see an e-kit because you expect/ demand the high quality sounds you can only achieve using a properly tuned A-kit.
But the average punter doesn't give a toss about the quality of the drummers rimshots (or any other nuance) they just want to hear a decent drum sound which conveys the music.
In this context e-drums fulfil their role perfectly. The e-kit (from a gigging point of view) is there to cater to the masses and no, the sound alone probably won't inspire other drummers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Have you guys seen the prices on replacement mesh heads? Or how about when one of those little cone pickups dies in a pad? That is not a cheap and easy fix, and I think when I had a dead TD-10 snare pad, Roland (who is rather close by to me in Los Angeles) wanted to charge me $120 to replace it. I can imagine someone who gigs regularly with their V's and doesn't live close to a big service center. What do you do when a pad dies? Just buy a new one online and hope you get it before the next gig? Heaven forbid your sound module starts acting up during a show and you have no backup. These situations seem absolutely insane to me - which explains why the guys using V-Drums have acoustic kits to play as well.

It just became this stressful thing that really taxed my will to live on a gig in the 80s and 90s. I'm positive once our eKit friends experience this kind of unnecessary stress, the tunes they sing will change ;)
Bo, you seem to be under the false impression that Roland is the only game in town when nothing could be further from the truth. There are just so many cheaper options out there these days whether it be mesh heads, cones, triggers or whatever (and no, you don't have to go running to Uncle Roland every time something breaks).
You said it yourself in the last sentence- but things have changed in the e-drumming world quite a bit since the 80's/ 90's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority of your posts (re: e-drums and their shortcomings) would indeed be made by someone who last played them in the 90's, then lost interest and never kept up with current technology.