View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

I want to just throw my 2 cents in here, I have this odd habit of ending a discussion. Once I chime in the posts stop. We'll see if my skills are still good.

Regarding the electric guitar/bass/piano argument. These instruments, in their electric form, have been around much longer than the electric drumkit. Let's not forget that the A-drumkit as we know it is less than 100 years old.

As former guitar player I can confidently say that there is less difference between and electric/acoustic guitars and e/a kits. The electric drumkit produces a completely programed sound, if you hit it harder/softer the sound will be louder/softer. I am still able to shape the sound of an electric guitar by alternating the construction/electronics and the type of amp I plug into. On an acoustic kit one need only switch settings and get the same results. Sure they make technology for people to plug directly into the achieve the same results but there are still purists that turn their nose up at it.

What I would love to see is a smaller acoustic kit with individual microphones that with tone adjustments that could be shaped by the player. I'll bet you could get a really big sound out of a 14x10 bass drum with the right heads/tuning and an internal mic. The real problem for such development wouldn't be making it though. It would be this generation of conservative drummers that would be very reluctant to accept something new.

I see it now, sell it on it's light weight and control over your own sound yet it still responds like an acoustic instrument because it is an acoustic instrument.

Edit: New Tricks, you paid that hack to come tune your drums!? I've been seeing his ads on CL for quite a while. I would have come over and tuned them for some beers.