View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Met a guy who really likes his E kit

I actually like the non agreement. It forces us to get really deep into things. Please feel free to disagree with me at any time, I dig opposing POV's, it's how people learn to step out of their comfort zone. I must have given the impression from the lazy comment that I am judging people for their E kit choices, and I guess I am. Oh well, guilty as charged. I just don't have the respect that I would have for a drummer who can make their A kit sound sublime. The E kit guy took a helicopter ride to the top AFAIC. Now if that same drummer can make the A kit sound sublime, but just likes his E kit, then he has my respect. But if he sounds better on the E kit than the A kit, then yes I take away respect points, which is a judgement. Everyone judges. You judged me for judging. So everyone judges. That's OK, it's a necessary process in figuring out what you like and what you don't. I don't get the negative connotations that go along with judging when judging is an unavoidable process. Everyone judges.

Programming E kits...you just can't compare that with developing drumming skills. Yea, you have to learn how to program, yes there's a lot of knowledge there, and yes it takes a lot of time and concentration....but there's clear step by step instructions that anyone can follow! You don't have to suffer any physical discomfort developing muscle technique and fine motor skills, touch, finesse, so they are apples and walnuts. The question that has to be asked... is the end result what you truly desire? Is that what you really want to sound like? If so, great. But if the ease of things is more important than the end result.... that's what I have a problem with, taking the easy way out, screw the end results. But to each their own. Everyone is judged, and to say you (not you personally) don't judge is also an elitist and probably untrue statement.

Your lawn mower analogy is like ammunition for my POV, because at the end of the day, the result is the same with both mowers. You cannot say that with an E to A kit comparison.

Last edited by larryace; 04-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.