View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Silent practice - mesh heads or sounds offs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
This is what I thought when I purchased a Roland TD-10 V-Drum kit. And then I had the most expensive practice kit ever. To get an eKit with mesh heads is going to cost at least $1300 or so - so how much do you want to spend on a practice kit? I always thought the joy of playing comes from inside anyway - and if the pure joy comes from playing your acoustic drums on an actual gig, I'm failing to see why anyone would spend 1,000+ on something they're just going to practice on. 'Cause who would actually use a mid-level eKit for a gig?
Bo my friend, it seems you and I are destined to contest this issue for all time : )
Since not wasting money on a "practice kit" seems to be your primary concern this means you would have to switch over the mylar heads for mesh after/ in between gigs correct? (Talk about a PITA).
Otherwise you could buy a second, cheap, piece of crap kit and fit that with mesh heads (but then we've wasted money again haven't we)?
Personally I don't think either of these scenarios is very appealing to any drummer and certainly wouldn't be conducive for practicing at home.
I take your point that yes, e-kits are very expensive for what they do (I also currently use a TD-10) but what price does one put on having an enjoyable/ productive practice at home (albeit with a kit that doesn't live up to your high A-kit standards)??
As for your last point, many drummers (including myself) have used "mid-level" e-kits for gigs. Granted, we're not talking Disneyland gigs (just pubs and clubs) but I used a crappy TD-6 for 5 years with no problems. Does it really sound THAT bad to you? Judge for yourself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPaG9HOye8