View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best choice for durable preferably cheap stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisDrummer View Post
Fair enough. I'll know where I "stand" on the SP stands in a few years, provided they last that long. Maybe a dozen setups and breakdowns and so far, so good.

One thing about my old Tama stands was the weight (which in some ways, is viewed as a good thing). Now granted, the lightweight nature of the SPs may bite me in the ass at some point, but it sure is nice carrying 7 of them in a hardware bag with no problem. And that's with 2 herniated discs!
I have the 2 Sound Percussion boom stands (the $70 two-pack), the Tama Roadpro boom stand, and a DW-9000-weight PDP straight stand. The SP stands are very solid for the price, they're fairly light but they are solid. Solid enough to stand up a tom and 2 or 3 clamped on cymbal arms (on both stands) for about 3 years now. The only issue mine have developed is that the very top of the stand where the boom arm "joint" is has an Allen screw that has come loose in both models. It's very small and I don't have the right size wrench for it, but it does mean that the top boom arm & tilter will come right off the piping if you're not careful. It can be fixed with the right size Allen wrench or just some thought about where you pick the stand up. I do not regret my purchase at all (but with my current setup of having 9 cymbals and 2 toms spread over just 2 stands, I use the heavier Tama and PDP just to be sure). I recommend them highly for inexpensive, light gear, unless you are clamp crazy like me!