View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Re: New audio equipment arrived, almost ready to record.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Phase will make a massive difference in your drum sounds. I am not familiar with the phase tool in Studio One but you should record a bit and try to listen to pairs of mics at a time while flipping the phase in your software mixer until everything sounds its best. For instance your bass drum may sound nice and deep through it's mic alone, but if due to positioning the OH's are out of phase with the bass drum mic then when you bring them up in the mix you bass drum sound will thin out. Move the bass drum mic or invert the phase on the bass drum mic until it sounds deep with the OH mics in the mix. Then do that until all the mics play well together.

I usually check:
The two OH mics against each other
BD and OHs
Sn and OHs
each tom with the rest
toms and OHs

Flipping the phase button (or inverting the phase) will only fix some issues because that only changes the phase relationship 180 degrees, some issues can only be fixed my moving the mics around until you hit that sweet spot. So if you have flipped the phase and you still have issues you should experiment with moving the mics and going through the phase again to make sure all the mics work together instead of fighting each other. Of course maybe Studio One does a lot of this for you. Its best to get it right before you track though as getting multiple drum mics all fighting for each other makes it tough to get a really solid drum sound.

And the hihat is like a virus, that thing shows up in EVERY mic!