Thread: Ringo Starr
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I have noted before that it's hard to tell much about Ringo's playing because he is turned down so far in the mix that you often can't hear him.

Ringo is a good example of a performer who did well for himself, was in the right place at the right time and has made lasting contributions to music and popular culture for 50 years.

But in my opinion, and in the opinion of society outside of this board, Ringo isn't a very good drummer. In my opinion, lots of people would have been able to drum for the Beatles with more verve and finesse. Ringo wasn't really bad but I don't think he was all that great as a musician either. Ringo's influence as the drummer for the most popular band in history is undeniable but I find his playing - when I can hear it - to be bland and too simple. I realize my opinion is counter to what most people say when they express an opinion about Ringo on this board.

your points and opinions are always valid DMC....and I for one respect them

but honestly who cares if we think he is good or bad

he is on all those records...influenced millions of players....sold millions of drum kits for Ludwig among other companies

and basically singlehandedly changed the way drummers were perceived and the way they played rock n roll in the early to mid 1960s

he was good for drumming, drummers, and drum companies

thats good enough for me