Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Favorite Song You Now Dislike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678...procrastinate View Post
Bo.
We can counsel you through this.
[ Actualy thinking...." e gads man ! " ]
Well, I was thinking about it, and I did really like that track (actually, the whole album too). And then Wayne Shorter's incoherent blowing, Steve's bombastic fills that seem to always be based on the paradiddle, and the lyrics about banyan trees and hills....it all started to sound uber-pretentious to me over the next two decades. And the way every college musician talks about that album and how it's so revered, like it's some kind of bible or something. I've experienced this same reaction whenever someone says "Mahavishnu whatever" too.

It's albums like these that make these young players go out and implement these overly-pretentious ideas into songs like "Mustang Sally" or "You are the Sunshine of my Life", and gets them fired, or at least distrusted on the bandstand for the next few years of their musical careers (if they get to have a few years before giving up and getting a real job). It's not just drummers. Bassists, guitarists, horn players.....they've all suffered from this album. It's a shame. If I could go back in time I'd stop my sister from ever buying that wretched album (I think albums back then were only $2.99 too) and get Kiss's Destroyer instead. I would've been much better served not having shunned Charlie Watts and Ringo, and just delved into the works of Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks. That stuff never gets old and I love playing it, even 30 years later.

I'm going over to iTunes to download the latest Miranda Lambert hit now.

;)