View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best choice for durable preferably cheap stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisDrummer View Post
If you're looking for REALLY cheap but fairly sturdy, I'd go with Sound Percussion double braced boom stands (boom collapses inside to make straight stand as well.) It's GC/MF's house brand. You can usually get a 2 pack for $70-80. I bought 3 2-packs on sale for $60!

They've been sturdy so far through several breakdowns/setups, although the greater test will be 2-3 years from now.

I used to have a mixture of all Tama Roadpro/Titan/Stilts. I let somebody "borrow" them for my 4 yr. drumming hiatus from 2008-2012 and they ended up getting rusted out. Didn't feel like putting in the time to clean them up to go with my brand spanking new Tama kit, so I bought these SP's on the cheap.

Looking to sell them "as is" just to get something out of them. I just don't have the time to sit there and scrub all the rust/pitting off. I realize things get scratched/dented but these things look like crap.
I'm in slight disagreement on the SP stuff. At one point I needed some cheap stands to outfit with a kit and picked up three SP straight cymbal stands (the less moving parts, the better), and within a month, every one of them developed an issue where at least one of the wing nut height adjusts just stripped out and couldn't be tightened. But some guys like them and have them for years, so maybe I got some bad stands. But the situation taught me to not trust them, so I stick with the brands I trust now. In some ways I've taken for granted just how good hardware has gotten in the last 20 years.