View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Picked up the DrumCrafts today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I'll say that if you like them enough that you would have bought them at the regular price, then you should keep them. Otherwise - out they go.
This is quite a loaded question, isn't it? I'm not sure I ever paid the regular price for any of the drums I've had. I recall really liking the Sonor SQ2 in concept, but because I was taught that the drums don't matter as much as the guy playing them, I highly doubted I'd ever pay for that. I did pay for a new set of Drum Workshop some time ago, but I didn't like them afterwards. I kept wanting them to be the old Camco's - and they weren't.

As far as the wife goes, I think she likes them better. There's color to them. She thinks gloss black on the Slingerlands and natural maple (which she calls yellow) on the Ludwig is pretty bland.

But the interesting thing is the "modern vs. vintage" thing. As Anthony attests to, we've had to futz with our old drums as we grew up for hours making them sound good. And all new kits these days you just throw heads on them and crank 'em up. If you can't get a good sound out of a modern kit, then I think there might be something wrong with you.

I'm gonna give these a good cleaning and do some seriously playing in the morning. I'll live with the crowded drum room. When the Slingerlands come back from Pro Drum I'll have my own little shop ;)