View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Slingerland video - FINALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
Stan and Jerry will do a bang up job.....you know that

as for the out of round drums.....for the first 5 years or so of my drumming journey I thought thats how drums were .
I would mess with that 1965 Slingerland endlessly ...... obsessively
I would spend hours and hours and days and days trying to get those things to sound the way I wanted.....and I would always succeed .
hours of tuning.....putting strips of towels under the heads.....pulling off the reso heads.....making tone control rings out of old heads that I cut with a razor (which I thought I invented by the way).....rolls of duct tape.....taping cymbal felts to the heads....cans of WD40 trying to get that old Speed King to stop squeaking .etc etc....

when I got my first new kit and put the heads on and the kit just tuned up I was almost disappointed because I enjoyed all the tinkering

those are the days that define us

I truly hope there are kids today who have to mess with dysfunctional drums incessantly the way we did to get them to sound the way they like .......it builds character that cannot be duplicated
Imagine if we were dealing with calf heads too? Actually, we'd probably have an easier time installing heads since the calf would stretch to the drum! But then who'd want to deal with the weather changes?

I used to walk to school in the snow for two miles with NO shoes...... ;)