View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: What to do with a rogue left hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Now I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to play open-handed ...
Open-handed playing is certainly one way to develop the weaker hand IMO Mike, although, like you for many years I've never contemplated such an approach, after so many years playing a regular kit (right handed kit leading with the right hand) I did not wanted to re-learn everything by switching the leading hand, as it would imply a tremendous amount of practice for very little gain in my eyes. There's some automatism which have developed over the years, those automatism allow me me to play and express myself freely, and it would probably take the same amount of time to master the open-handed playing TBH, it's hardly worth it for me, but for someone at the beginning of their adventure or the highly determined individual it's certainly a viable option.

But I do play open-handed on the kit a lot, it's the by-product of having 2 hi-hats on the kit, one on the left, one on the right, I still lead with the right hand on the right sided hi-hat and perform hi hat's opening and barks with the left hand on the left sided hi-hat. The 2 hi-hats concept was introduced within my set when I played double bass drums to have an hi-hat voice while performing double bass patterns, but I no longer use a double bass kit nor I use a double pedal anymore, however, I kept the 2 hats concept and developed it, I'd say that about 50% of my playing is performed open-handed on the kit nowadays.