View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: What to do with a rogue left hand?

Practicing getting a good stroke can be mind numbing, or a real challenge. It all depends on your attitude. You can't be bored if you're challenged.

Just a heads up...I've been working on getting my left had equal to my right. It's been 10 years now, and I just about have it. My point is it really took me a lot of time, so don't expect miracles. Slow single strokes to a metronome is a great way to get the right timing separation happening between hands. 16th notes at 40 BPM...anyone can do that. Just practice that and try to get the trajectories identical, assuming matched. No need to go faster until you can get control over the firing of your stroke and it's trajectory, shortest distance between 2 points. It's almost useless without a metronome though, you gotta use it.

If you can't play to a metronome, your time needs work. There's no way around that. Time is THE most important thing for a drummer. It's all about the time. So since you're a beginner, this is a great opportunity to save yourself a world of grief and just start with a metronome right away. Remember metronomes aren't boring, people are boring.

Gomez Addams