View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What happened to classic bass drum tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Regarding the drum corps reference, they're kinda the purveyors of what they don't like. In their quest for cleanliness from say, twelve snare drummers, the drums would not sound as clean if you went back to drums they used back in the 70s and early 80s, which to me, sounded more like snare drums. And not the over-tightened tabletops they are today. I was at DCI show this past summer and I was surprised that the modern bass drum section sound sounds like bass drums with pillows in them. I didn't get that. I really liked it when tonal bass drums were new and they rang a bit so you could actually hear the tone. But then again, they want clean, so that's the only way to get it.
It always seems to me like they should use that for practicing and maybe turn it down on the muffling a bit for the performance. Ah well, I couldn't care less about their cleanliness after 3 years of marching band (in the front ensemble). That kind of metronomic recital just does not interest me in the majority of DCI music I hear.

our tenor players even use Pinstripes :(