View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Adjustable bass drum beaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Heck, stubborn Larry, changing the angle of your beater will do exactly the same, no change in feel and less fatigue... and free!!!

What's that proverb again? you can take a horse to the river... :):):)
But I don't like the beater hitting on anything other than a 90 degree angle. If I am going to spend time with this issue, I want the end result to be: bass drum batter head on a 90 degree angle in relation to the floor, pedal hammer to strike the batter head so the beater shaft does not go past 12:00, pedal hammer to strike the bass drum batter head at a 90 degree angle, so as not to prematurely wear the batter head by an angled hammer.

Will changing the beater angle accomplish this? I'm being serious, because maybe I don't quite understand what you are suggesting. If my DW pedals could move closer to the batter head, this wouldn't be an issue. But the casting is designed in such a way that my pedal can only go so far onto the hoop. It doesn't go on the hoop all the way, and as a result, the beater shaft has to go past 12:00 to make contact. Not good enough. And the proverb is: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Either way, I'm a horse in this scenario lol.

Gomez Addams