View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Don't like the Evans G2, any other recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddisonTaras View Post
Hi,
Thank you all of you for your help, you all truly helped me.
After tuning more and more I got them to sound pretty good
However, it is true that since I don't have a good resonant head and they've been used on another kit before - they don't sound up to the G2 standards.
Plus the sound in general just isn't for me, I need something with more attack/punch - but not completely dead, and I think that's the EC2 (or Pinstripes? I hear they break easily though)
I've had pinstripes for about a year as my metal heads- I'm not a really hard hitter but they've lasted. EC2s and Pinstripes don't actually have more attack- that's single ply heads- but their sustain is short and the decay is accelerated so the attack seems accentuated, even though it is less strong than a single ply head by its dual-ply nature. If you want punch, that's generally regarded with a two-ply head. You might want to look at Remo Vintage Ambassadors- they have a ply of 7.5mil and a thin ply of 3mil which is as far as I know the only one of its kind. Great snare head and it sort of brings some single-ply ideas to a dual-ply design, similar to how G12s and Ambassador X's bring some dual-ply ideas to a single-ply design.

Other than that, Aquarian's stuff is really, really good. You might want to look at their Classic Clear or Focus-X with a power dot for some thuddy two-ply action as well as the classic single-ply base. Good luck.