View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Anyone else into quality audio?

I've always appreciated hi-fi components, starting with McIntosh, SAE, et al back in the day. But my budget always limited me to standard components, and like many people, I got by with a Marantz (2270) receiver for many, many years. i did have a revolving door of turntables (Thorens, Dual, AR, Philips etc, but somehow never a Garrard!) and tape decks (Tandberg, Uher, Sony, Concord, TEAC.)

A dozen years ago, I bought what should hopefully be my last system, and I've been very pleased with it. Arcam 2.0 preamp w/phono input, NHT 2.9 bi-amp speakers, and 4 Marantz monoblock amps. It's dead silent, smooth, powerful, and just sounds wonderful. No EQ needed, everything sounds perfect without boosting highs or lows, I run it flat for everything!

The other components aren't quite so hi-fi, I've auditioned very expensive CD players and I just don't hear any advantage to spending more than $150-200. My turntable has been with me for almost 30 years, a workhorse Technics SL1200 mkII with Stanton cratridge. All sounds fabulous to me!

Bermuda