View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Re: THE DRUM MICROPHONE / MICROPHONES THREAD

So I just saw this thread and I wanted to mention my setup and talk about a super cheap set up for recording drums at home.

My normal set up changes depending on the kit and the player but I usually use:
Bass Drum inside: Senn e602
Bass Drum Outside: Blue Mouse
Snare top: sm57 or Beyerdynamic M201 or Oktava MC-012
Snare bottom: sm57
Toms: Oktava MK-012
OHs: Oktava MK-012 or a pair of Fathead Ribbons
Room: AEAR84 Ribbon or AT4047 or the two of them combined in a M/S configuration.
Stairwell: Any condensor or high output mic

However, you can get great results with just three or four mics. As you can see from above the Oktava MC (or newer MK) -012 pencil condensers are a favorite of mine. They can be had for around $100 - $125 each used and have an amazingly flat frequency response. They sound closer to the original Neumann KM84 than any of the inexpensive mics I have tried and they don't have that typical sizzly/overly bright top end most of the cheaper condenser mics have. They make great overheads on a budget and amazing tom mics too. You do have to be mindful that you don't get any that are beat up too bad as the Russian QC in the past wasn't the best. New ones are great and well made but quite a bit more expensive.

If you do a Glyn Johns:
http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

or Recorderman:
http://www.hometracked.com/2007/05/1...mic-technique/

You can use two Oktava MK-012s and a Senn e602 (or whatever bass durm mic you prefer) and get a really outstanding drum sound for around $300. Add an sm57 or any cheap dynamic mis to the snare to focus the center image and you have a nice set up for $350. Since the condensers are picking up the whole kit you do have to have a good balance behind the kit to pull this off. But regardless of the size of kit, number of toms you can get a really nice sounding image of the kit with only a modest amount of money and a decent amount of time experimenting with mic positions. Both of those techniques can be used with whatever mics you have obviously and they are both easy to get right.

Also, if you have an extra mic put it somewhere crazy and experiment. Put it outside the door or down the hall. In my space I have a hallway outside the drum room and stairs going down at the end of the hallway. I always put a mic at the top of the steps pointing down and it give and amazingly huge (not even close to Bonham but as a point of reference) Levee Breaks type of sound when mixed in with the direct mics.