View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Roland Octapad versus SPD-SX: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbconsul View Post
Thanks for the insights; do you use any external trigger pads with the SPD-SX? One other question: I'm a little bit concerned about the location of the control panel. Have you ever accidentally hit it in a live situation? (I'm not terribly concerned, since I never hit mics, but the control is at the bottom of the device, not the side as in the Octapad.)
I have used the kick pad from my TD12 (KD-85) with no problems. Also, I have never hit the control panel, which surprises me too! I've used it a fair bit live & will make more use of it as I get more sounds loaded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
I have both the 30 and the SX. The SX is what I bring out gigging with my acoustics. To answer your question about externals. I use all four externals throughout the kit. I trigger the kick with an rt10 and it works so well I don't even mic the kick anymore.

Rich.... you're right about sampling on the SX isn't difficult at all. But there is a pretty good learning curve to the SX if you've never dealt with electronics or sampling. (where as the spd 30 is plug and play.). I just learned a trick on another forum on how to edit waves on the SX so they loop correctly without needing a computer edited wave. If you need it I can share. I don't mean to hijack this thread tho.

One more thing to consider KB is amplification. This is something I overlooked when I first got into electronics. You're going to need a good PA and a very good monitor or in ears.
I would be very interested to hear about the wav editing for loops! Please post it.

I got a Roland PM-30 monitor and really love it. It has detachable wheels so I can take it on gigs, plus detachable extension speakers. Really great piece of gear.