Thread: Good jazz books
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Good jazz books

A lot of good advice here. Anthony covered it pretty well. Listening is key, and then books can help you figure out the mechanics to do what the guys you're listening to are doing. I think John Riley's books are probably the best overall resource, but all the books that have been recommended are great. I also second the recommendation of Jim Blackley's Essence of Jazz Drumming. If you don't get around to getting it, here's some good advice from it: practice ride cymbal patterns (the jazz ride pattern, straight quarter notes, the shuffle rhythm, patterns with anticipated notes, etc.) at quarter note=40 for substantial periods of time, and focus on how you articulate the pattern. It's amazing how well this will improve your time and your feel at all tempos.

Here are a few other books that are good (not that you need more recommendations, but I've found all of these helpful in various ways):

Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin (I don't think this was mentioned already, but it is the granddaddy of jazz independence books)

Musical Time by Ed Soph

Art of Drumming by Robert Kaufman

Essential Techniques by Ed Soph

Time Functioning Patterns by Gary Chaffee (for the triplet based jazz independence exercises, AND you can practice the previous 16th note rhythms as if they were swung 8th notes)--this stuff is very mechanical, but it can clean up coordination issues so it's easier to make music).