View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Drumnetics conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Very interesting indeed. Would love to see a vid of this pedal in action since the conversion (and maybe how it compares to the "old fashioned" spring mechanism)?
The pedal is just a lot smoother now. And I can reliably play some quick stuff all at a consistent volume that was difficult for me before.

The thing is, Michael actually did three things to this pedal:

1) He refurbished it. He took it apart, replaced some parts, and basically put it back to the way it was when it was brand new.

2) He installed a custom direct drive made just for this pedal, and tested and tweaked it a bit.

3) He installed the magnets.

So, as soon as I started playing it, it was just a night-and-day difference. It was so much better. I wasn't "fighting the pedal" anymore, if that makes any sense. In fact, I inched the front of my bass drum off of the riser! Was that because I needed less power for the same sound? Is the direct drive a better mechanism for energy transfer? Did the magnets have something to do with it? Or was I just excited to be playing with the new pedal?

And that's kind of where I'm at right now. The pedal is wayyyy better but is it because of the magnets, the direct drive, or the refurbishment? (Probably all three, is my guess).

A few of my friends pointed out that it's odd for the spring to still be on there. And I suppose that I can see their point. But the spring works fine as a catch for the beater, so I'm guessing that Michael kept it on to avoid having to design one more thing which might increase the price.

But then a friend pointed out that if somebody has a spring-based pedal converted, they always have the option of tightening up the spring to the point where the magnets don't come into play anymore. So in theory you could switch back and forth between the two methods. I never really played with a tight spring, so it's difficult for me to compare the spring to the magnets that way.

Last edited by Eand; 03-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.