View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thick vs. Thin Hi-Hat Top

Haha, I wonder how to register as a nonprofit group? Maybe I should just busk outside of malls. Anyways, here's an ebay search for 14" Mastersounds (excluding the ZHTs). You might want to just pick up a top cymbal (those have more effect on the timbre of the hats than the bottom in my experience), or see about somehow selling the Paragons after getting Mastersounds. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
So, would you say that a bottom alone makes a signficant difference? For example, have you heard your A Crash on a regular hat bottom, then switched to the Mastersound bottom and noticed a significant difference ?
Ah, I can answer this too, having K Mastersounds, HHX Evolutions, and a 14" Zildjian New Alloy crash in my possession that I commonly mix 'n' match for hats. When I switch between the HHX bottom and the Mastersound bottom with the same top cymbal, I notice that the Mastersound (the Ks being a heavier cymbal & sharper sound than the evolutions) adds some sharpness to the sound but that also happens when I use the Mastersound top with the HHX bottom. When doing anything with only the foot, I noticed almost no difference between the two bottoms and I'm sure that whatever difference I noticed was because of the cymbal's sound, not the ridges. (the Evolutions are unridged). So, the Mastersound bottom's ridges doesn't have much of an effect to my ears, but the different sound does have an effect.

Last edited by porter; 03-17-2013 at 03:21 AM.