View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

It's really a weird story. It's 1.983, and I am 11. As a kid in a country where Rock was out of the media at the time, I am afraid of Heavy Metal. You know, it's loud and evil. This morning I go to school and see some Heavy Metal fans looking really sad. I am afraid of them, but I know one. I ask him what is going on. He tells me the terrible news: this famous band Iron Maiden were in an airplane that crashed yesterday. Every member of the band is dead except the drummer, but the doctors are going to cut one of his arms off. I am pretty shocked. Even these "evil" people deserve a good life.
Now it's that day's afternoon. I've come home and I am eating a sandwich and watching the TV. In the Spanish public TV of these years (1983) is very rare to see anything close to Rock, so that makes impossible to see anything harder than that. But there has to be some Metalhead working there today, I don't know how he could do that. I am eating my sandwhich and suddenly, before the starting of some boring TV show, there you have it: the videoclip of "The trooper". At first, it is really weird and agressive to me. But since the news from this morning I just think: "Well, let's watch this, just for showing some respect. It's just a song". And 30 seconds later, something makes a "click" inside my brain. "I like this song! It's amazing!"

"The trooper" is less than 4 minutes long. In less than that, two things happened that day: a new Metalhead was born and that boy decided he wanted to be a drummer. "Man, that drumkit is huge! That drummer is really cool with those rolls!" Next morning, that stupid rumour was over. And my hair grew long and remained long for more than twenty years. I always thought I owe something to Nicko McBrain.