Thread: Good jazz books
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Good jazz books

Forgot to add that I have a drum teacher, that I will be contacting(always takes some time for him to respond to my messages since he's a bit busy at times).
I will ask him to help me with my jazz-playing. Thanks for the tips guys, keep'em coming

Oh, here's my drum teachers myspace. He can play jazz, that's for sure: http://www.myspace.com/martinwister

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
What went wrong at the audition?
I got some feedback from the auditions. The positive: I was good at communicating, had a lot of good ideas and groove.
The negative: I was too "heavy" in my playing and I needed it to flow more.
I think this has to do with me not having enough "headroom" in my jazz-playing, so I'm always on the edge when playing. If I was playing fusion or funk, I would have lots of headroom and it would feel better. I was also crashing too much and using too much kick. Oh, and I fell out of time during an instrument fill thing which I had composed, which was pretty bad.

These auditions always makes my teeth grind. They're so artificial, and you never know who you will play with. On the first audition, I felt it was easier to communicate with the musicians because I could make eye contact with everyone, but the second one, all the musicians had their heads buried in the note sheets.

Another thing, is that many times, jazz is made out to be so academic(even if it isn't). It's hard to find cats to play with, even in big cities. At jam sessions, there's always these cliques of players that only play with each other, and if you're lucky enough to play with them, you'll never get anything out of it. No gigs, no calls, whatever. I feel that it's imperative to play with other people, so you can get experience.

Last edited by Thaard; 03-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.