View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Thick vs. Thin Hi-Hat Top

It sounds like I better clear some things up! :-)

MIKEM, "Fan" is the original technical term for hitting a closed hi-hat at an angle then opening it a nanosecond after the strike, then closing it again, which produces a sound like you would hear on the accents on 3 and 4 of the second measure after the leading fill on the intro of Steve Miller's Take the Money and Run. As described by someone else's post above, "bark" would be considered an equivalent colloquial term. And, TAMADRM, aka Steve B, I beg to differ about Carmine Appice and fanning, as I am the master at it, which is why I am so concerned. You naven't heard my Boogie Oogie Oogie, have you? :-)

Hi-hat Cut - the ability to be heard through the mix when riding a closed hi-hat. That said, BO EDER, what you said about hi-hats being heard without a lot of effort is exactly why a good hi-hat cut is desired. You should not have to work at that, and I prefer that every little nuance and inflection be heard... even mistakes. If your mistakes are heard, that can make you a better or smarter player. Hint: Sometimes being smarter is easier than getting better - If you make a mistake, just repeat it; not only will it sound like a "technique", many times repeating a mistake puts you right back in the groove! :-)

To clarify, Paragons are not quiet at all. They cut very well, but their fan abilities are much to be desired. I've been working at them every Sunday for a year now, and while you can get a fan out of them, you simply cannot get anything other than a quick one, never mind a prolonged fan. You can't really sizzle them, either... if you try, they sound like two cymbals rattling and/or clanging together, if you can imagine that. Trust me, I know what a true sizzle is, as I have a 1972 Zildjian 20" Sizzle Ride, and can sizzle my own hi-hat very well, too. While I previously attributed these idiosyncracies with the Paragons to them being thick, after CADDYWUMPUS's comment about stiffness, I paid careful attention last night when I was playing them again for the umpteenth time, and it certainly seems like their stiffness is the issue. Granted, other people might not notice the way they fan, but I'm a sticker for technique, and quite particular, if you haven't noticed by my other posts (and by the fact that I find Westone IEMs to sound like crap when so many artists like them, but that's another story), so Paragons are definitely not what I would pay any amount of money for.

Mastersounds - I just returned from Guitar Center, and for the record, the 14" Mastersounds were... let's just say WOW! They are everything a drummer would want. Nice crisp, clean and cutting, and they were sweet as heck when fanned. A pretty penny, to be sure, but they really are everything they are hyped to be. For the record, I am so mad at whoever suggested them, because now I WANT SOME! I was originally looking for a 14" crash, for Pete's sake! I won't mention any names, ID DRUMMER, but whoever suggested Mastersounds owes me the $328 I will inevitably end up spending for them, because I'd be hard-pressed to try and come up with as good of a sound, no matter what mix of tops and bottoms and crashes-as-tops combo I try. Although the A Thin Crash top does indeed provide for killer fans, and a not-bad cut, it doesn't hold a candle to the Mastersounds. In fact, nothing I've ever heard in my entire life does! By the way, can someone please tell me when the equipment aquisition in this profession ever ends? :-)

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 03-16-2013 at 01:15 AM.