View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thick vs. Thin Hi-Hat Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
I've used (and owned) sets of hi-hats with a rippled bottom before, but I found that they produced a very weak foot-splash sound with the pedal (which I assume is what fanning means).

Although rippled bottoms give you less air-lock and more cut, they also provide less surface area for the top and bottom to interact when splashing and therefore give a weaker sound, which would take the OP back to square one.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev
In the example given by the OP ("Take the Money and Run" intro) the slightly open hat is struck with the stick and then closed. (In our backwoods vernacular, we just called it hissing the hat, lol!) So I don't think a foot-splash is what he is talking about when he says fanning, but I don't know for certain.

Now, I am assuming that when he says cut, he means the way the hat sounds when played with the stick with the hat in the closed position. And the rippled bottom does give some advantage there, in my experience.

In any case, I was just offering another option he can check, and see if he likes it.