Originally Posted by Mad About Drums
Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus have huge Music mega store, like HMV, Virgin and Tower Records, they're gold mines, I use to spend days in them, they're so big :)
Yeah... HMV has gone into administration... so there is not much left really :-)
A couple of things more. Obviously what you want to see depends on who you are... personal interests, etc. so, things I like and things I liked and visited when I first moved to London a few years ago:
- tate modern, the café at the top is lovely
- as said, bricklane/etc is a cool mix of people, interesting things
- primrose hill, you'll get an amazing view of london from the park, nice pubs around, it's just behind camden town if you visit there
- consider going on top of the shard, it's pretty cool. Been there last month
- borough market, the promenade around london bridge
- area around the BFI (Waterloo)
- camden market is not that interesting (mostly crappy stuff and FULL of tourists to the point it is impossible to walk) but the market structure is interesting, still worth a visit. Hint: get out at the Chalk Farm road station.
- national portrait gallery - check for temporary exhibitions.
If you ask for directions, it's pronounced "LESSER" square. They drop some letters from Leicester. :-D