View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thick vs. Thin Hi-Hat Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hmm. Old skool Zildjian New Beats are a thin top mated with a medium bottom. The thicker you go, the less musical they sound. So I'm surprised you say the paragon top is thick. I figured those were supposed to be 'musical' hi hats as well.
NEW BEATS are medium weight top and a heavy bottom, which is somewhat of a standard Hi Hat pairing. W/o looking Im going to guess PARAGON'S are weighted close to the same. Don't think Neil Peart would have a heavy HH top.

What should I look for in a top that would give me a bit more cut without compromising the fan abilities, or is there even such an animal?

"Fan abilities" with cut? You can fan a heavy HH top, it just takes more power, tho it would probably be too loud. Weight ads cut, so medium weight HH tops will have more cut than light tops.

You've got the word- 'Sizzle'

Sizzle hat's, or hat's with rivets installed. When the hats are closed the rivets are virtually nonexistent, when you open the hats (fan) the rivets come alive and sizzle. You get the best of both worlds. I prefer an explosive 'fan' sizzle w/my hat's, and I get that with rivets.