View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Saw a UFO at band practice tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The universe is huge, but time is much more vast. It could be that life forms pass each other in the night, separated by millions of years and millions of light years.
That's essentially why I say I know we can't be the only "life" in this vast expanse of both space and time. Relativity is a funny thing. We really have to think outside our own relative worlds to get into this.

Quote:
The universe is about 14 billion years old and the Earth, 4.5 billion years. Life on Earth: 3.6 billion years. Sentient live on Earth: Maybe 200,000. So, for the entire life of the universe, life has existed for less 25 one-hundredths of the time and sentient life for 14 millionths of the time. And I'm not even speculating whether interplanetary travel is possible, practical, useful or affordable. Entire species could evolve, do their thing and their solar systems crumble and the species, at the interplanetary traveling stage, might never get closer together than a million years.
You touch on one of the points that interests me. Intelligence. Again, relative. I've never been a big fan of the theories that there are other "more advanced" civilizations out there. I think although energy as a concept is the same in most of the fathomable universe, I just don't see it happening the same way as it did for us. I think other "life" out there could be so different that we might not even be able to dream it up on our own.

Quote:
The closest thing life ever gets to interplanetary travel is on comets, carrying amino acid fragments and the seeds of life from one planet to the next.
I think that there is a good chance this happened here... Maybe even more than once. I have mentioned before around here my theory that viruses came in on "space debris" of some type. It's so different from the ground up to other life, yet preys upon other carbon lifeforms for it's existence outside a dormant state.

Quote:
We are really alone.
Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps there are furry little midget aliens eating cats and being hidden in standard nuclear families as we type.